The name “Christiansminde”
The name Christiansminde originates from a visit from Prince Christian Frederik (later Christian 8th) to Svendborg in 1830, when he granted permission for the name change from “Termeriet” to Christiansminde. The previous name was derived from the many springs in the area.
The area was originally called ”Kronen” (the Crown), but in 1765 was sold to Niels Juel to Tåsinge. The town’s citizens were not satisfied with this deal as they had citizen’s rights for some of the area. Therefore, a settlement was made in 1789, where the citizens were allowed rights of the Oxenbjerg fields and the closest forest.
- In 1818, a forest park was established in the area for Svendborg. In 1852, “Sommerlyst” (Summer Light) was set up where people could dance and play music until 11.00pm. Various parties were held here over the years. When planned party came to nothing, the flag at Mølmarks mill (later Christiansmøllen) was hoisted at a particular time to inform the locals.
- In 1877 a hotel was constructed, that was expanded to become a seaside hotel in 1881. N. A. Frandzen adopted the role as host, and after he died in 1898, his widow continued until the managing director P. la Cour took over.
The Weber Family
- In 1917, there was another extension of the hotel, which was now becoming increasingly popular among guests both from Denmark and abroad. The Weber family has meant a considerable amount for the Christiansminde area. T
- hey came to Svendborg in 1866 and had a significant impact on the place and the town. The family earned money on cryolite in Greenland and were entrepreneurs in many areas. Among other things, they established Denmark’s first orchard, set up Gammel Hestehauge shipyard and built a cycling race track in 1887 around the round lake. Fast sprinters and cycling artists performed here and the first cycle race in Svendborg took place here in 1886. It was ”penny-farthings”, they rode on in those days.
- Theobald Weber built the 3 large and characteristic houses in the area in Italian style: Bella Vista, Svea and Taarnborg.
- In 1939, the shipyard was sold. The fruit wine company was sold in1940 to Odense Wine Company. In 1959, a part of the ground from Gammel Hestehauge was sold to Svendborg Municipality. The last part of the forest and orchards were sold to the municipality in 1972.
- HK took over the well known holiday hotel, Christiansminde on 1 July 1981. In 1992, HK bought the ground where the nature hostel Søro was to build a new training wing. After the establishment of the purification plant in the 1980’s, it became possible to swim from Christiansminde. The sand for the beach was taken from the building of the new wing at Christiansminde.